What is a birth doula? A doula is a trained non-medical birth support assistant. She provides the mother and birth partner with support, practical assistance, and information before birth, during and after birth. A doula does not perform medical tasks.
What Can a Doula do For You? Having a doula can significantly improve your birth experience. Studies* have shown that the continuous support of a doula is associated with:
- a 50% reduction in the number of necessary Cesarean sections
- a 25% reduction in the length of the birthing time
- a 40% reduction in the use of oxytocin (Pitocin)
- a 30% reduction in the request for pain medications, such as narcotics
- a 30% reduction in the number of forceps deliveries
- a 60% reduction in the number of requests for epidural anesthesia
Hypnobabies® moms certainly benefit from choosing a Hypnobabies® Hypno-Doula (HCHD) who is familiar with hypnosis, understands her cues, and knows how to most effectively support her.
*According to the compilation of studies performed by Marshall H. Klaus, M.D., John H. Kennel, M.D., and Phyllis H. Klaus, M.Ed., C.S.w